Turning 40 is a big milestone, so I thought I would celebrate it by accomplishing some things. I created a Before 40 Bucket List. Some of the items on the list were places I wanted to visit or books I've been meaning to read. Other things were contrived simply for this list. My #before40bucketlist accomplishments include:
- Attending the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC (Amazing!)
- Running every stair in every parking garage downtown (Surprisingly fun!)
- Making Baked Alaska (kind of flopped, but it was tasty!)
- Preparing Julia Child's famous Beef Bourguignon (Took 4 hours, but SO GOOD!)
- Giving a TED Talk (scary!)
- Watching the Godfather Trilogy (Eh.)
- Checking out the midcentury homes of Palm Springs (Love!)
- Reading Tolstoy's War and Peace (Satisfying but loooong)
I did not make it to Cuba, get a tattoo or cross stitch anything. I'm still working on mastering a worship song in sign language, Hillsong's 'Oh Praise the Name.' And the item that's turned out to be the most challenging has been trying every flavor of Haagen-Dazs ice cream. I created a spread sheet, ranking and reviewing each one. To help me get to 40 flavors, Haagen-Dazs even overnighted me three pints of ice cream on dry ice. I enjoyed flavor #40 live on the morning show with Rob and Jim.
So what were my favorites? These four flavors received a 9 out of 10, which make them my favorites:
1. Chocolate Salted Fudge Truffle, Non-Dairy: This one was a surprise to me. Typically I don't like rich flavors as much, but this was delicious. Sometimes I even prefer the flavor of non-dairy options and this was definitely one of those times.
2. Cookies and Cream: Full disclaimer, cookies and cream is my favorite overall ice cream flavor. I haven't met one I didn't like, but this one is REALLY good. They do not skimp on the cookies.
3. Dulce de Leche: Sometimes you want ice cream without any extras, and Dulce de Leche is just that. It depends entirely on the flavor and smoothness of the ice cream. They nailed it.
4. Honey Salted Caramel Almond, Decadent Collection: This was one of the first I tried, way back on May 22, 2018. I had just started this challenge but I loved the nuts and the blend of flavors. Even though it is in the Decadent Collection, it still feels light.
Which Haagen-Dazs flavors were my least favorite? Hands down, Rum Raisen and Chocolate Chocolate Chip. While Haagen-Dazs does many things well, I don't like their ice creams with chocolate chips. The chocolate is chalky, and too crunchy. It doesn't add much flavor since it's hard to eat.
Hopefully I'll be able to find the rest of the flavors on my list that I haven't tried yet, but at least I know I gave it a good effort! And I enjoyed the challenge!